Mare Island Vallejo, CA – To Island Energy Customers: The state of California is taking unprecedented measures to protect all California residents and businesses from the risk of wildfire.
PG&E’s planned regional, high risk area power outages to reduce the risk of wildfire may have broader implications on the electric grid. While Island Energy does not expect to incur planned power shutdowns at this time, it uses PG&E’s transmission system and could potentially be impacted.
PG&E has not finalized the details of how its planned shutdowns could impact Mare Island and other publicly‐owned electric utilities. Island Energy will continue to monitor the situation with PG&E and the potential impacts to Mare Island and will post any information on impacts on Island Energy’s website and Mare Island Next Door.
In the meantime, Island Energy encourages you to prepare for potential emergencies –
Prepare for Power Outages:
- Plan for any medical needs like medications that need to be refrigerated or devices that require power.
- If you are dependent on an electric or battery‐dependent medical technologies such as
breathing machines, a power wheelchair or scooter, and home oxygen or dialysis, it is critical that you have a plan in place for an extended power outage. Contact AMP to ensure that it is aware of your medical needs.
- Keep emergency, family, and other important phone numbers accessible in hard copy.
- Build or restock your emergency kit with flashlights, fresh batteries, first aid supplies, cash, and food that will last up to five days.
- Identify backup charging methods for phones and other electronic devices.
- Know how to manually open your garage door.
During a Power Outage:
- Switch off all appliances, but leave one light on to know when power is restored.
- Unplug sensitive equipment such as computers.
- Use a battery‐powered radio and listen to local radio for updates.
- Make sure you have flashlights and batteries.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator, to keep your food fresh.
About Island Energy:
Island Energy is the name Pittsburg Power Company, a department within the City of Pittsburg, uses to provide electrical and natural gas services to Mare Island, Vallejo. Island Energy has been providing utility services to Mare Island since 1997.
And a special thank‐you to the Alameda Municipal Utility for providing some of the helpful information above.